Happy Valentine’s Week! Just when you were getting your diet back on track after the holidays, February 14th hits you right between the eyes.
Rather than the usual heart shaped and frosted sugar cookie, how about these adorable stuffed pie crust cookies? It’s like a pop tart meets hot pocket meets hand pie meets NUTELLA! They use my easy homemade pie crust recipe that comes together in 15 minutes (plus chilling time).
This isn’t so much of a recipe as it is instructions. Go ahead and grab your pie crust ingredients + Nutella + an egg, and you’re all set. If Nutella isn’t your fave, you can do this with fruit jam. I make these all summer long with whatever is in season. Until then, we’ll have to suffer with Nutella! Photo guide is below followed by a list of directions.
Join other Bake Like A Champ readers and discover a game-changing approach to baking from scratch that fits into your busy life. Click here for instant access to my free 3-Step Guide to Baking in Advance today.
Roll out your pie crust pretty thin, to 1/8 of an inch. Cut desired shape.
Brush the edges of the heart with an egg wash (beaten egg plus a splash of water) and add a dollop of Nutella to the center.
Place another heart on top, brush the top of the sandwich with egg wash, and crimp the edges with a fork to really form a seal. Sprinkle with sugar.
Chill the pie crust hearts, and then bake until golden brown.
Nutella Pie Crust Hearts
Makes 10 sandwich cookies depending on size
- Make pie crust found here. Chill the dough for at least one hour or up to overnight.
- Take the dough out of the fridge and set it on the counter for a few minutes to take the chill off.
- In a small bowl, beat an egg with a teaspoon of water.
- Sprinkle flour on your work surface.
- Roll the first disk of dough to 1/8″ thick. The dough has a tendency to get sticky, so make sure you are moving it around on your well-floured counter while you are rolling it.
- Cut out shapes with a cookie cutter of your choice. If you don’t have a heart cookie cutter and you want to make these for Valentine’s Day, you can always cut out a piece of paper in a heart shape and trace around it with a sharp knife.
- Brush (or spread with your fingers) a little egg wash on the edge of a heart. This is like glue for the pie crust!
- Add a dollop of Nutella in the center of the heart.
- Place another heart on top of the Nutella and press your fingers around the edges to form a seal where the egg wash is. With the edge of a fork, seal/crimp around the edges.
- Brush the egg wash on top of the finished heart and sprinkle with a little sugar. If you have turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw), that’s great, or regular sugar will work fine too.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Place finished hearts on a parchment lined baking sheet at least 1 inch apart. Place baking sheet in the fridge or freezer for at least 15 minutes. This is key to keeping the pie crust flaky and in a perfect heart shape.
- While the cookies are chilling, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Once the pie crust hearts are chilled, bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.