Quick loaf cakes are an excellent way to bake all year round. This recipe can be used as a foundation for nearly any fruit. One of my favorite things about this cake is that it tastes even better the next day. Add this to your baking repertoire and you’ll have a go-to treat for breakfast, afternoon tea, and even dessert.
In true Bake Like A Champ fashion, the recipe comes together seamlessly and quickly.
Cherry and Poppy Seed Yogurt Cake Recipe
Recipe adapted from the cookbook, Sweeter off the Vine
Makes one 9 by 5-inch loaf cake
1/4 cup (35g) all purpose flour
2 tablespoons old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 teaspoons poppy seeds
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (150g) granulated sugar
1/2 cup (120ml) canola or grapeseed oil
3 large eggs
1 cup (225g) plain yogurt
1/4 cup (60ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 2 lemons)
Zest of 2 lemons
1 1/2 cups (210g) pitted sweet or sour cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Butter and flour a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- To make the streusel: In a small bowl, stir the flour, oats, sugar, poppy seeds, and salt together. Add in the butter and use your fingertips to mix until small crumbs form. Set aside while you prepare the cake batter.
- To make the cake: Whisk the flour, baking powder, poppy seeds, and salt together in a small bowl. In a large bowl, add the sugar, lemon zest, oil, eggs, yogurt, and lemon juice and whisk to combine. Add the flour mixture at all once, switch to a rubber spatula, and stir until just combined. Fold in half of the cherries. (Tip: Zest the lemons before you juice them!)
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and scatter the remaining cherries over the top. Sprinkle the streusel in an even layer over the cherries.
- Bake the cake until puffed and golden and a cake tester inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cool completely before slicing. This cake will keep in an airtight container for about 3 days at room temperature.